Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public

Commissioner for Oaths

You may have an affidavit, oath, legal document, or other formal documentation that needs commissioning or notarization. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to determine whether you need a Notary Public or a Commissioner for Oaths. Typically, when you’re swearing or solemnly affirming an affidavit, oath, or the contents of a document within Alberta, a Commissioner for Oaths can sign and stamp your document.

Notary Public

A Notary Public, however, is typically required for out-of-province documents. For example, if you were to swear an affidavit in Alberta as part of a real estate transaction you completed in Manitoba, you would have to sign the affidavit before a Notary Public. Similarly, if you were required to provide a Certified True Copy of a document, such as a passport, to a government agency, a Notary Public would need to affix their seal to a copy of the document to render it a ‘Certified True Copy’ of your actual passport.

The team at CRT Legal is proud to offer these services to you. When booking your appointment with us, please let us know what the document is and what it will be used for. We can then make sure that the appropriate appointment is booked.

© 2023 CRT Legal | Log in

Website by EDGE Marketing & Design Inc.
Photography by Stacey Tompkins Photography